Sunday 10 April 2011

Engaged and confused...


Does every bride to be have an exact picture in her mind as to what her wedding day will look like?

'I got engaged and within 2 weeks had my dress and venue booked,' the words of a newly engaged colleague rang in my ears as I sat down in front of my laptop to research wedding venues.

I was excited at the prospect of taking our first steps into the world of wedding planning but after 5 mins of trawling through the thousands of webs results I just felt deflated. What did I want?

Was it wrong that I had no idea? Did that mean I wasn't ready to be a bride?

No, that was one thing I did know. I wanted to marry my partner of four and a half years after he popped the question on my 30th birthday while sipping champagne and gazing over the city we loved to live in - London.

He had chosen a perfect pear shaped diamond and had it set on a ring the perfect size for me... yes, just perfect. But why didn't I know what I wanted from that moment on?

Over the past couple of years my h2b (I have soon learned this means husband to be in web wedding talk) had chatted about the prospect of tying the knot. New York was our fantasy which we had dared to dream about. The city held lots of good memories after a visit for New Year just a couple of months after we met.

But now the prospect of actually getting married is a reality, the dimensions of it all change. How will people feel about travelling or ultimately missing out on our big day? How will we feel? And most of all how I am going to make any decisions now that we haven't even fixed on a country to wed in? Somehow the decisions seemed to be getting broader not easier. Just where do I go from here...

No comments:

Post a Comment